Materion is a B2B global leader in specialty materials. It manufactures highly engineered technology materials that are essential to the performance of many products such as cell phones, disk drives, and precision machinery.
“We worked with AspireUp from the ground up on our corporate brand strategy. They helped us develop the strategy, justification, and execution details and brought expertise that was essential to our organization.”
Former President & CEO
- Materion (formerly named Brush Engineered Materials) had grown rapidly through acquisition, but lacked a clear brand strategy or means of realizing marketing synergies from its larger business.
- The company was made up of 10 separate brands across 17 autonomous divisions, with little synergy or shared identity between divisions. Customers of each division were not aware of the range of capabilities offered in other divisions and there was little cross-selling. Likewise, there was no unifying identity or culture across the broader company.
- As a public company, Materion had earned credibility on Wall Street for its strong financial performance, but investment analysts were confused by the company’s diverse portfolio of products and were valuing the company more as a mining and metals business rather than as an advanced technology company.
- To fulfill its plan to aggressively expand globally, Materion needed a new brand strategy, brand identity, and a go-to-market plan that could tie business units together and create a stronger, differentiated brand.
- AspireUp conducted extensive research, both with employees across the company and with customers across all 17 businesses to understand customer needs, current brand perceptions, the company’s unifying strengths, and competition.
- AspireUp developed a new brand strategy with a core point of difference and campaign idea that was relevant to customers across all businesses and would strengthen the company’s credibility around the world.
- We recommended that the company move from a house of brands to a branded house architecture under a wholly new name and identity. We then developed the new branding around the newly-created name, “Materion”, as well a brand architecture that provided clarity and synergy across its 17 businesses.
- Finally, we facilitated the brand rollout, created a unifying theme and creative materials to relaunch the company, coordinating internal stakeholders to execute an “internal branding” campaign for employees, then externally to convey the new brand value proposition with customers, suppliers, and investors.
- After the rebranding, the company culture became more unified, divisions began working with each other to cross-sell strategic global accounts, and Wall Street began seeing Materion more as a technology company, leading to stock price increase and higher P/E multiples.
Get In Touch
Phone: (312) 804-9100
© 2020 AspireUp, LLC. All Rights Reserved